- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine the flour,
- baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with
- milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour half of the batter into another bowl. Add vanilla to one bowl;
- add the syrup, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to the second bowl. Pour
- each batter into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in
- water until smooth. Add raisins. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon
- juice, butter and peel. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, butter and lemon peel. Add milk
- until icing reaches desired consistency. Place the spice cake layer
- on a serving platter; spread with filling. Top with vanilla cake
- layer; drizzle with icing. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 392 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.