Raisin Date Bread Pudding Recipe
All my leftover bread ends (raisin bread is a favorite in this house) and buns go in the freezer. Then, when I've stashed away enough, I whip up a batch of this pudding. It's an all-occasion dish—I've made it for holidays, potlucks, picnics...for any occasion or no occasion! I've been making my bread pudding since I was a girl—the recipe originated with my great-aunt. My husband, who cash-crops with his father and brother, loves it. We're the parents of two children, a 2-year-old girl and a boy born just last year—on Christmas morning!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:10-12 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 5 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Additional sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, optional
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, pour milk over bread. Add sugar, eggs, butter, dates, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; stir to mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. If desired, sprinkle top with additional sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 290 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 173 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC