Raisin Brown Rice Pilaf
Michele Doucette of Stephenville, Newfoundland dresses up nutritious brown rice with onion, garlic, raisins and almonds in this flavorful pilaf.
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Sliced Almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir
- in rice, raisins and cinnamon stick; saute until rice is golden. Add
- broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1
- hour or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Discard
- cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 193 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.