Michele Doucette of Stephenville, Newfoundland dresses up nutritious brown rice with onion, garlic, raisins and almonds in this flavorful pilaf.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in rice, raisins and cinnamon stick; saute until rice is golden. Add broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Discard cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Raisin Brown Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p57
Reviews for Raisin Brown Rice Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review