This bread also is wonderful as toast for breakfast or any time with a cup of tea. It is just so easy to make, I like to have it on had when we have guests.—Virginia Doyle, Pinedale, Wyoming
Recommended: 24 Christmas Puddings for the Holiday Season
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups warm orange juice (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Grease an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add orange juice; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add remaining flour. Stir in raisins (batter will be stiff and sticky). Do not knead.
- Spoon into prepared pan; sprinkle with additional cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and toast. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Orange-Raisin Toasting Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p38
Reviews for Raisin Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review