Grated carrots and zucchini, plus raisins and walnuts, bring a wonderful blend of flavors to this out-of-the-ordinary banana bread. The recipe comes from Margaret Hinman of Burlington, Iowa, whose 92-year-old aunt shared it with her.
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another large bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in the zucchini, carrot, banana, raisins and nuts.
- Pour into four greased and floured 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-48 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (5 slices each).
Originally published as Raisin Banana Bread in Country Woman January/February 1999, p40
Reviews for Raisin Banana Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 5, 2010
"Can I replace zucchini with something else?"
Reviewed Sep. 20, 2009
"Very yummy taste! Didn't rise like I would have liked, but it may have been my error."
Reviewed Sep. 4, 2009
"When you grate zucchini for breads do you peel it or grate skin and all...."