Raisin Applesauce Cake
This cake is one of my grandfather's favorites. And it seems like he always knows when you're making it—he must have a keen sense of smell! The recipe was passed down through the generations beginning with my great-grandmother. Sometimes I can imagine her making it all those years ago.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- In a bowl, cream the sugar and shortening. Beat in molasses until
- blended; set aside. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon,
- cloves and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce,
- beating well after each addition. Stir in raisins.
- Pour into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45
- minutes or until cake test done. Cake will not rise to top of pan.
- After 10 minutes, remove cake from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 328 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.