Raisin-Apple Bread Pudding
"The original recipe for this dessert came from a farming magazine," writes Cora Uden of Juniata, Nebraska. "I changed several ingredients in it to cut down on calories, but it's still homey and satisfying. In fact, we like this version as well as the original."
3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 slices day-old raisin bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or additional vanilla extract
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- In a small bowl, toss apple rings with lemon juice. In a small
- skillet, saute apple in butter until tender. Remove from the heat.
- Combine 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over
- top. Toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Top with
- raisins and apple mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and remaining
- In a small saucepan, combine milk and salt; cook and stir over medium