One rainy day a few years back, this comforting soup was served at a local arts and crafts bazaar. Now family members who are feeling under the weather request it.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until the vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Rainy Day Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p19
Reviews for Rainy Day Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2013
"no stars but a 5. my family really enjoyed this soup, quick and tasty, next time I will add some garlic and red peppers as we like these. will make this again without red peppers and garlic for my family that are not pepper fans"