Rainbow Vegetable Skillet Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 1/2 in. water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until almost tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper and cinnamon; set aside. When squash is cool enough to handle, peel and discard rind. Cut flesh into 1/2-in. pieces.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and squash; heat through. Transfer to a large bowl; add butter mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup equals 106 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.