Rainbow Swirls Recipe
The students in my home economics class enjoy choosing and mixing in the food coloring for these cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Green and red liquid food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into three portions. Tint one portion pink and one green. Leave one portion plain. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 3. Shape each portion into a 15-in. roll. Place all three rolls on a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly; roll gently until rolls form one log. Refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Rainbow Swirls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC