Rainbow Sherbet Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 3 cups rainbow sherbet, softened if necessary
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Using a long serrated knife, cut cake horizontally into four layers. Place bottom layer on a freezer-safe serving plate; spread with 1 cup sherbet. Repeat twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Freeze, covered, until sherbet is firm, about 1 hour.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake. Freeze until firm.
- 3. Thaw in refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Cut cake with a serrated knife. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 253 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Rainbow Sherbet Angel Food Cake
"I have been making this for years. Instead of the whipped cream I use Cool Whip. This is my son's most requested birthday cake."
"This is a beautiful, unique looking, tasty dessert. It was a hit and everyone ooohed and awed at it. I love this and it will be made many times. I made the recipe exactly as stated."
"Made this for my moms birthday. Was light and flavorful. We enjoyed the 1st round but family was not overly anxious for the leftovers."
"This looks very much like the dessert my Aunt and Mom used to make for all special events in the early 1950's! I was a little girl then and loved it. I have been looking for the recipe forever, since both my Mom and Aunt never used recipes and they always made homemade Angel Food cakes. They used separate flavors of sherbet instead of the rainbow flavor."
"I love this cake!"