- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 each small green, sweet red and orange peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. In a large skillet, saute broccoli, onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter until tender. Stir in spinach. Spoon into prepared crust; sprinkle with cheese. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and salt; pour over cheese.
Bake 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Securely wrap individual portions of cooled quiche in plastic wrap and foil; freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap quiche; reheat in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Rainbow Quiche
"This was tasty, but I did add 1 tsp. of kosher salt and a 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper to the vegetables as I sauteed them. I also added a 1/2 tsp. of coarsely ground black pepper to the egg mixture. I split the vegetables and egg mixture between two, 9-inch pie pans. I sprinkled 1 C. of cheese over the vegetables in each pan. Next time, I think I will try blind baking the pie crusts first to prevent the vegetables from making the bottom crust soggy."
"Loved this but added more salt, pepper and fresh minced garlic (2 cloves), a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a pinch of dried red chili peppers. It gave it just the kick it needed. Also didn't have orange peppers so used some green peppers. Did not cut down on the amount of vegetables. It made 2 regular depth 9" pies. A deep dish one would have been nice too! Maybe would take a little longer to cook though."
"I can see the possibilities for this dish, but it certainly needed more seasoning. As one of the reviewers said, salsa would be a great addition."
"I did not like this very much. It definitely needs more seasoning."
"Delicious! I added salt, pepper and fresh garlic to the vegetables as other users suggest. It definitely makes two pies and I even cut back on the vegetables (used half the broccoli and onion, half a green and red pepper only). My pie crusts were not deep dish however."