Rainbow Layered Cookies Recipe
Balanced beautifully in the sweet spot between cake and cookie, these sensational slices will be the centerpiece of your cookie tray.—Sherry Thompson, Seneca, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + chilling YIELD:144 servings
- 2/3 cup blanched hazelnuts or macadamia nuts
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg white
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Place the hazelnuts in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Add the confectioners' sugar and egg white; cover and process until blended.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in hazelnut mixture, then butter. Beat in rum extract. Combine flour and salt; add to egg mixture.
- 3. Divide batter into thirds. Stir red food coloring into one portion of batter; stir green food coloring into another portion. Leave remaining batter plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges begin to brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. Place red layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; spread with strawberry jam. Top with plain layer; spread with apricot preserves. Add green layer; press down gently.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining chocolate over red layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- 7. With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: 12 dozen.
1 cookie equals 37 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC