- 2/3 cup blanched hazelnuts or macadamia nuts
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg white
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Add the confectioners' sugar and egg white; cover and process until blended.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in hazelnut mixture, then butter. Beat in rum extract. Combine flour and salt; add to egg mixture.
- Divide batter into thirds. Stir red food coloring into one portion of batter; stir green food coloring into another portion. Leave remaining batter plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges begin to brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; spread with strawberry jam. Top with plain layer; spread with apricot preserves. Add green layer; press down gently.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining chocolate over red layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: 12 dozen.
Reviews for Rainbow Layered Cookies
Sort By :
I had made this recipe 1 time, and loved it cause it was similar to a store bought cookie-bar looked like this one &I absoutely loved it.This was as close to it as I could find. I lost the recipe& found another recipe called Almond (something)and is assembled like this 1,however it is NOT the same!Love THIS 1.
I have been searching for this type of cookie recipie. They are easy to make but look like they would take all day.