Rainbow Layer Cake
Fruity gelatin helps create the rainbow effect for this pretty cake. Lemon frosting is a nice and springy finishing touch. —Dawn Shackelford, Fort Worth, Texas
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons each lemon, strawberry and orange gelatin powder
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) lemon frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round
- baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, substituting
- three whole eggs for egg whites. Divide evenly among three bowls.
- Stir one flavor of gelatin into each bowl until blended. Pour each
- into a prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper.
- Cool completely. Spread frosting between layers and over top and
- sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with a Betty Crocker white cake mix (regular size). Freeze option: Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed.