Rainbow Layer Cake Recipe
Fruity gelatin helps create the rainbow effect for this pretty cake. Lemon frosting is a nice and springy finishing touch. —Dawn Shackelford, Fort Worth, Texas
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons each lemon, strawberry and orange gelatin powder
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) lemon frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- 2. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, substituting three whole eggs for egg whites. Divide evenly among three bowls. Stir one flavor of gelatin into each bowl until blended. Pour each into a prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 3. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- 4. Freeze option: Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC