I always bake these Rainbow Cookies two weeks ahead. That allows them enough time to "mellow," leaving them moist and full of almond flavor! —Mary Ann Lee, Clifton Park, New York
48 ServingsPrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Grease the bottoms of three matching 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans (or
- reuse one pan). Line the pans with waxed paper; grease the paper.
- Place almond paste in a large bowl; break up with a fork. Cream with
- butter, sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy. Stir in flour.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into
- dough, mixing until thoroughly blended.
- Divide dough into three portions (about 1-1/3 cups each). Color one
- portion with red food coloring and one with green; leave the
- remaining portion uncolored. Spread each portion into the prepared
- pans. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are light
- golden brown.
- Invert onto wire racks; remove waxed paper. Place another wire rack