Rainbow Cake Roll
Nancy Geissler said that years ago she saw a cake mix ad for a similar cake. This became the inspiration for her colorful cake roll using a homemade sponge cake. She likes to keep it on-hand in her freezer in the summer. "Besides looking pretty, it's refreshing and it always gets raves," she writes from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
10-15 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + freezing
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups raspberry sherbet, softened
- 2 cups orange sherbet, softened
- 2 cups lime sherbet, softened
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper;
- grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and extract until
- thickened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually
- add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk
- mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into yolk
- mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until cake springs back when
- lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel
- dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll
- up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.