Rainbow Cake Roll Recipe
Nancy Geissler said that years ago she saw a cake mix ad for a similar cake. This became the inspiration for her colorful cake roll using a homemade sponge cake. She likes to keep it on-hand in her freezer in the summer. "Besides looking pretty, it's refreshing and it always gets raves," she writes from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups raspberry sherbet, softened
- 2 cups orange sherbet, softened
- 2 cups lime sherbet, softened
- 1. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and extract until thickened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into yolk mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. Unroll cake. Spread raspberry sherbet widthwise over a third of the cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Repeat with orange and lime sherbet. Roll up carefully; place seam side down on a sheet of foil and wrap securely in foil. Freeze until firm, about 6 hours.
- 5. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10-15 servings.
Reviews for Rainbow Cake Roll
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC