Rainbow Butter Cookies Recipe
Our family can't get through the holidays without these fun, colorful cookies. They come out of my oven by the dozens!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:36 servings
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Green, red and yellow food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into three portions; tint each a different color. Roll each portion of dough on waxed paper into a 9-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- 3. Cut each rectangle in half lengthwise. Lightly brush top of one rectangle with milk. Top with another colored dough. Remove waxed paper; brush top with milk. Repeat with remaining dough, alternating colors to make six layers. Press together lightly. Wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 109 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC