Rainbow Angel Food Cake
"This colorful dessert reminds me of Dorothy singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'," relates subscriber Pat Habiger, who notes that one sweet bite of this cake always takes her far away from her home in Spearville, Kansas and deposits her in the land of "aahs"!
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red, yellow and green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour
- and 3/4 cup sugar twice; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg
- whites, cream of tartar, extracts and salt on medium speed until
- soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a
- time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is
- dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, a fourth at a time.
- Divide batter into three bowls. To the first bowl, add 1 drop red and
- 1 drop yellow food coloring. To the second bowl, add 2 drops yellow
- food coloring. To the third bowl, add 2 drops green food coloring.
- Fold food coloring into each batter.
- Spoon orange batter into a ungreased 10-in. tube pan; carefully
- spread to cover bottom. Spoon yellow batter over orange layer (do