Rainbow Angel Food Cake Recipe
"This colorful dessert reminds me of Dorothy singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'," relates subscriber Pat Habiger, who notes that one sweet bite of this cake always takes her far away from her home in Spearville, Kansas —and deposits her in the land of "aahs"!
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red, yellow and green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar twice; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, extracts and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, a fourth at a time.
- 2. Divide batter into three bowls. To the first bowl, add 1 drop red and 1 drop yellow food coloring. To the second bowl, add 2 drops yellow food coloring. To the third bowl, add 2 drops green food coloring. Fold food coloring into each batter.
- 3. Spoon orange batter into a ungreased 10-in. tube pan; carefully spread to cover bottom. Spoon yellow batter over orange layer (do not mix). Spoon green batter over yellow layer. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 162 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Rainbow Angel Food Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC