- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red, yellow and green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar twice; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, extracts and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, a fourth at a time.
- Divide batter into three bowls. To the first bowl, add 1 drop red and 1 drop yellow food coloring. To the second bowl, add 2 drops yellow food coloring. To the third bowl, add 2 drops green food coloring. Fold food coloring into each batter.
- Spoon orange batter into a ungreased 10-in. tube pan; carefully spread to cover bottom. Spoon yellow batter over orange layer (do not mix). Spoon green batter over yellow layer. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Rainbow Angel Food Cake in Country Woman March/April 1997, p10
Reviews for Rainbow Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review