Racetrack Cake Recipe
Everyone gets fired up when they see my Racetrack Cake. For the track and pit stop area, I use gray icing outlined with yellow frosting gel. Edible green glitter designates the grass areas, and miniature racecars look so cute speeding around the track. —Amber Kimmich, Powhatan, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 3 hours Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:24-30 servings
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 10 cups buttercream frosting
- Black, yellow and red food coloring
- Green edible glitter
- 4 miniature cars
- 2 miniature checkered flags
- 1. Prepare and bake each cake according to package directions, using greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. Transfer cakes to a covered board and position side-by-side. Frost top of cakes with 5-1/3 cups of frosting. Tint 1-1/2 cups frosting black. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with black frosting. Outline edge of cake. Using a #17 star tip, pipe a checkered pattern on sides of cake with 1 cup white frosting and remaining black frosting.
- 3. Tint 2/3 cup frosting gray; create an oval racetrack in middle of cake. Tint 3/4 cup frosting yellow; pipe lines around track and infield. For grass, sprinkle green glitter on infield.
- 4. Tint 1/2 cup frosting red; pipe lettering on corners of cake. Position cars and checkered flags. Yield: 24-30 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC