- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 10 cups buttercream frosting
- Black, yellow and red food coloring
- Green edible glitter
- 4 miniature cars
- 2 miniature checkered flags
- Prepare and bake each cake according to package directions, using greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Transfer cakes to a covered board and position side-by-side. Frost top of cakes with 5-1/3 cups of frosting. Tint 1-1/2 cups frosting black. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with black frosting. Outline edge of cake. Using a #17 star tip, pipe a checkered pattern on sides of cake with 1 cup white frosting and remaining black frosting.
- Tint 2/3 cup frosting gray; create an oval racetrack in middle of cake. Tint 3/4 cup frosting yellow; pipe lines around track and infield. For grass, sprinkle green glitter on infield.
- Tint 1/2 cup frosting red; pipe lettering on corners of cake. Position cars and checkered flags. Yield: 24-30 servings.
Originally published as Racetrack Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2007, p49
Reviews for Racetrack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 14, 2011
"The kids just love this!"