- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 pieces string cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 loaves (14 ounces each) ciabatta bread, halved lengthwise
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Place tomatoes and water in a small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well; place tomatoes in a food processor. Add mayonnaise; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Cut each piece of string cheese in half lengthwise and widthwise; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the minced basil, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 thin patties. Place two pieces of string cheese on eight patties; top with remaining patties. Press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Place four burgers on the bottom of each loaf of bread; top with mozzarella cheese, basil leaves and tomato mayonnaise. Replace bread tops. Cut each loaf into four servings. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Race Day Burgers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p195
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Race Day Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review