Rabbit Rolls Recipe
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon water, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 egg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat 1 cup water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat for 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate egg white. Add egg yolk, egg and 1 cup flour to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 20 pieces. Shape 18 pieces onto 10-in-long ropes. Fold in half; twist top half twice to form ears. Place 2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Shape remaining dough into 18 balls. Place one on the loop end of each roll to form tail; press into dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Whisk the reserved egg white with remaining water; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 166 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Rabbit Rolls
"I make these rolls all of the time. I haven't ever formed them into the rabbits, though. I shape them into 16 regular rolls and bake for 15 minutes."
"these i would like to make for easter dinner i hope they turn out like yours they look really nice thanks for sharing your recipe"