- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon water, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat 1 cup water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat for 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate egg white. Add egg yolk, egg and 1 cup flour to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 20 pieces. Shape 18 pieces onto 10-in-long ropes. Fold in half; twist top half twice to form ears. Place 2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Shape remaining dough into 18 balls. Place one on the loop end of each roll to form tail; press into dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk the reserved egg white with remaining water; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Rabbit Rolls
"I make these rolls all of the time. I haven't ever formed them into the rabbits, though. I shape them into 16 regular rolls and bake for 15 minutes."
"these i would like to make for easter dinner i hope they turn out like yours they look really nice thanks for sharing your recipe"