My husband's family has enjoyed this satisfying gumbo for many years. Bold seasonings and savory sausage slices enhance the mild meat. John doesn't do much hunting anymore, but we still enjoy this Cajun dish on cool evenings.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add rabbit and enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to
- 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Add the sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Simmer, uncovered,
- for 15-20 minutes. Remove rabbit. When cool enough to handle, remove
- meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces;
- return to pan. Stir in okra; bring to a boil. Serve in bowls over
- rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 452 calories, 29 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 866 mg sodium,