- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil,
- salt, lemon juice and all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in
- enough whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until
- slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 14-in.
- pizza pan, building up edges slightly. Do not let rise. Bake at
- 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread sauce over crust. Top with peppers, onion, pineapple, ham and
- cheeses. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges
- are golden brown. Yield: 12 slices.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 268 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 537 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.