Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf
If you've never tried quinoa, this colorful side dish makes a great introduction. The combination is wonderful. —Jill Heatwole, Pittsville, Maryland
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until tender. Add
- rice and quinoa; stir to coat. Stir in broth and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until liquid is absorbed, adding the broccoli during the last 3
- minutes of cooking. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth) equals 193 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.