Quinoa Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion, red pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the chili powder, cumin and cinnamon; cook 2 minutes longer.
Add the black beans, tomatoes, zucchini, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in corn and quinoa; heat through. Discard bay leaf; stir in cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 264 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 514 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.