When my mom and sister developed several food allergies, we had to modify many recipes. I substituted quinoa for couscous in this tabouleh. Now we make it all the time! —Jennifer Klann, Corbett, Oregon
8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Transfer to a bowl; cool
- Add the beans, cucumber, red pepper and parsley. In a small bowl,
- whisk the remaining ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to
- coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.