Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 each medium sweet red, yellow and orange peppers
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and bay leaf to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots and onions in oil until tender. Add the quinoa, sunflower kernels and seasonings; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until peppers are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 221 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.