“These peppers stuffed with quinoa taste yummy,” Anna Engle proclaims from Streetsboro, Ohio. “My family and I enjoy them regularly, and I always look forward to leftovers.”
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 each medium sweet red, yellow and orange peppers
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and bay leaf to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots and onions in oil until tender. Add the quinoa, sunflower kernels and seasonings; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until peppers are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p63
Reviews for Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review