Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 each medium sweet red, yellow and orange peppers
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and bay leaf to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots and onions in oil until tender. Add the quinoa, sunflower kernels and seasonings; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until peppers are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers(9)
Sort By :
It was great! Will definitely make again!
A few small changes. I mixed a little parmesean into the quinoa mixture before stuffing. I also opened a can of stewed tomatoes. Used the juice with a little water to "stew" the peppers, and topped the peppers with the tomatoes prior to baking. yum.
I've been experimenting with different quinoa recipe and this was good. I found another quinoa pepper recipe that uses South American flavors that I really love too. It's over at a blog called ellebeaugrease.blogspot.com. Great recipes and a good way to use quinoa for dinner.
Great alternative to stuffing peppers with rice. You can get creative by adding some beans, corn, or diced zucchini.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >