- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, toast the quinoa over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, yellow squash and leeks in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato, cilantro, seasonings and quinoa; heat through. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Quinoa Squash Pilaf
Sort By :
Tasty quinoa. I used onion because I didn't have leek. It was very good without the spinach but might try it with the spinach next time.
Very good and healthy! Kids did not like it too much, but all the rest loved it. Also I used onion and no leeks.
What a great recipe to use all those fresh farmer's market veggies. And a complete protein! Win-Win. Leave out the red pepper flakes, and chop smaller for kids.
This was very tasty and filling. I did use low sodium chicken broth instead of the vegetable broth, chopped red onion instead of the leeks, and I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on the top. I thought it would have been good with some motzarella too.
I had never eaten quinoa before. This was the first time I have ever cooked with it. I used an onion instead of leeks. I thought that this recipe is excellent. I will definitely make again.
More Recipe Collections
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Spinach Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Summer Squash Recipes >