This good-for-you dish can be served either cold as a salad side dish for 8 people or warm as an entree for 4 people. The Lime Vinaigrette add a punch of flavor to this wonderful dish.—Yvonne Compton, Elkton, Oregon
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the orange pepper, onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and chili powder. Pour over tomato mixture; toss to coat.
- Spoon quinoa onto a serving platter. Top with tomato mixture, avocado and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Quinoa and Black Bean Salad in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p34
Reviews for Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review