Quince Pear Salsa
Our Test Kitchen suggests you try this pretty, peach-colored salsa, flavored with quince, ginger and jalapeno. It makes a nice accompaniment to pork and chicken entrees. Or try it with chips for a tangy appetizer.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 medium quinces, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring quinces and juices to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pears; cover and simmer 2-3
- minutes longer or until quinces are tender. Remove from the heat;
- cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the onion, jalapeno, ginger, honey and salt. Cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 33 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fruit.