- out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes before removing to a wire
- rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening until fluffy.
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt and enough
- milk to achieve desired spreading consistency; set aside 2/3 cup.
- Using remaining frosting, spread between layers and over top and
- sides of cake.
- To make quilt design, divide the top into nine equal squares, using a
- ruler and making a gentle imprint in frosting with string or dental
- floss. Referring to Fig. 1, use a toothpick to gently draw each
- block design. Fill in design with preserves as shown in photo.
- Cut a small hole in the bottom corner of a pastry or plastic bag;
- insert round tip if desired (or pipe directly from bag). Fill the
- bag with 1/3 cup reserved frosting and pipe an outline around each
- square. Prepare another plastic or pastry bag, inserting the star
- tip. Fill bag with remaining frosting; pipe around outer edge of top
- and bottom of cake. Holding the bag straight up and down, form stars
- on the corners of cake and squares. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 941 calories, 37 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 560 mg sodium, 147 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.