Quilt-Topped Corn Bread Recipe
This recipe relies on peppers and chilies to dress up two rounds of corn bread. We like to serve slices alongside salsa and light sour cream -Robyn Oro of Raytown, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1. Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray. Slice green chilies in half lengthwise; pat dry. Place six chili halves skin side down in a star burst pattern in each pan. Cut red pepper into twelve 1/4-in. slices and two 1-in. circles. Place slices between the chilies and circles in the center.
- 2. Place corn bread mix in a large bowl. Combine the cream-style corn, Mexicorn, cheese, water, egg and egg substitute; stir into corn bread mix just until moistened. Pour into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto serving plates. Yield: 16 servings.
1 wedge equals 187 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC