Quicker Stollen Recipe
This fast version of this holiday classic is made extra speedy by the use of hot roll mix. It eliminates waiting for the dough to rise and the final resting time.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Additional candied cherries and sliced almonds, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets with the sugar. Stir in the water, butter, egg, lemon peel and extract to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead in raisins, candied fruit and almonds, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 2. Roll or press dough into a 12-in. x 7-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1-in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 20-30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk; spread over stollen. Decorate with cherries and almonds if desired. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 251 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC