Quicker Chicken and Dumplings
Ready in 30 minutes, this easy chicken and dumplings recipe takes advantage of convenience items and uses time-saving, drop-style dumplings. —Willie DeWaard, Coralville, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup French-fried onions, coarsely chopped
- 7 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil,
- stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, onions, milk and
- parsley just until moistened. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto
- simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted
- in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while
- simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 330 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium,