Quicker Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup French-fried onions, coarsely chopped
- 7 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, onions, milk and parsley just until moistened. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 330 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Reviews for Quicker Chicken and Dumplings
"This turned out much better than I thought it would. It was very filling. I did use suggestions from other reviews and added some salt, pepper, and a chicken boullion cube."
"Definitely needed some seasoning. Remember to turn down the temperature when simmering your dumplings even though the recipe doesn't say to. This only made three healthy servings. Will make this again but double the amount of vegetables and soup/milk."
"Family loved this, but I'll add salt and pepper next time and maybe another can of soup."
"Great base for a quick chicken and dumplings! It did need salt and pepper and I will add a chicken bouillon cube next time."
"This recipe is great for a quick semi home made meal. It had very good flavor and the dumplings turned out fluffy and flavorful as well."
"I actually sauteed chopped up carrots and celery in olive oil and then added raw chopped chicken, chopped broccoli and cooked that before adding the other ingredients. I know that kind of defeats the purpose of "quicker", but it was worth it. This was excellent and definitely a keeper. I can't wait to make it again."
"DELISH! Just needs salt and pepper to taste. It says that it serves six, but we barely got 3 servings out of it."
"We weren't big fans. It was pretty soupy and had an odd flavor. We ate it but won't make again."
"My family loved it! We did have to modify it a bit as the recipe didn't make enough for my family of four's healthy appetite. We just added another can of soup and some more milk to stretch it a bit."
"Very good made it on a night when we had friends over and doubled the recipe it was all gone! Definitely put the onions on after cooking and I put them on the table for people who wanted extra. Very good and easy-quick. Thanks!"
"I used fat free cream of chicken soup and used fresh veggies instead of frozen. It was more like a chicken pot pie but it was good. It did need a little salt but was very good."
"Very boring. Like a soupy chicken potpie."
"My family loved it, used fresh vegetables instead of frozen"
"I didn't have any baking mix, so I made a couple of changes...one was using prepared biscuits and I put the fried onions on the top of the biscuits for the last 10 minutes. This is a great recipe."
"Great recipe! Easy and delicious. I used reduced fat cream of chicken soup and California blend vegetables."