Quicker Chicken and Dumplings (speedier version) Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven or kettle, combine the broth, celery, carrots, bay leaf and 1 teaspoon parsley; bring to a boil.
- 2. For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, thyme and nutmeg; stir in milk and remaining parsley just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling broth. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- 3. With a slotted spoon, remove dumplings to a serving dish; keep warm. Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Spoon over dumplings. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 452 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,431 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.