Quicker Chicken and Dumplings (speedier version) Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven or kettle, combine the broth, celery, carrots, bay leaf and 1 teaspoon parsley; bring to a boil.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, thyme and nutmeg; stir in milk and remaining parsley just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling broth. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- With a slotted spoon, remove dumplings to a serving dish; keep warm. Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Spoon over dumplings. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Quicker Chicken and Dumplings (speedier version)
Sort By :
I had never made dumplings before and didn't mix them enough before dropping into the broth so I would recommend stirring just a little beyond "just moistened". My dumplings turned into awkward lumps instead of pretty dumplings, but even so, it was absolutely delicious!
Wonderful, the whole family loved it and that is saying something. However I did add frozen peas.
This was easy and tasted good
I love this recipe, very close to the chicken and dumplings I used to make. I usually double the dumplings.