Quicker Caramel Flan
This shortcut version of traditional flan is made with convenient caramel ice cream topping to reduce prep time. Since it's prepared in individual custard cups, the baking time in nearly cut in half.Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Gradually
- stir in milk. Spoon 1 teaspoon caramel topping into each of six
- ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
- Place cups in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour egg mixture into
- each cup (cups will be full). Fill baking dish with 1 in of hot
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are
- almost set (mixture will jiggle). Remove custard cups from water to
- a wire rack; cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until thoroughly chilled. Invert and
- unmold onto rimmed dessert dishes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 208 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 191 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 9 g protein.