Quicker Boiled Dinner Recipe
This faster version relies on cooked corned beef from the deli to reduce cooking time. It also eliminate peeling and cutting vegetables by using frozen sliced carrots, convenient packaged coleslaw mix and small red potatoes that don't need to be peeled.Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1 pound unsliced cooked corned beef
- 4 small unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- Prepared horseradish or mustard, optional
- In a large kettle, combine the corned beef, potatoes and water. Place pickling spices in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to kettle.
- Stir in the onion, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add carrots; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Add coleslaw mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard spice bag. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Serve with vegetables and horseradish or mustard if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quicker Boiled Dinner in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p51
Reviews for Quicker Boiled Dinner(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review