Quicker Beef PotPie Recipe
This faster version uses a purchased pastry crust, frozen vegetables and a jar of gravy to reduce prep time...and the filling is prepared speedily on the stove instead of baked in the oven. You'll be amazed at how good our quicker version tastes!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak or boneless beef top round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef gravy
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- On a floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Brush with water. Sprinkle with cheese and 1/4 teaspoon thyme; press lightly. Using a 3-in. biscuit cutter, cut out four 3-in. circles. Place circles and remaining pastry on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil for 5 minutes or until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the vegetables, gravy, mushrooms, garlic salt, pepper and remaining thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Set pastry circles aside. Break remaining pastry into 2-in. pieces; place in soup bowls. Top with beef mixture and pastry circles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quicker Beef PotPie in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p53
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Quicker Beef PotPie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review