- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shoepeg corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Quick Vegetable Bean Soup
Sort By :
"I've been making this recipe since it appeared in TOH, and it's a winter favorite. You can switch out different beans to your family's liking, and I use the spicy tomatoes and Rotel to give it a bit more kick. It's also a good recipe for leftover beans, which I cook a lot because we're not big meat-eaters. I make this soup in the slow cooker so it can simmer for several hours and serve it with cornbread and onions."
"Why don't you have a calculator to reduce the size of the recipe for 2 servings."