Quick Tomato-Strawberry Spread
For a creative way to use up tomatoes from you garden, make this spread. The strawberry give it a fruity flavor everyone will enjoy.—Myra Innes, Auburn, Kansas
18 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing
- 2 cups chopped peeled ripe tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Rinse three 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry
- In a large stockpot, bring tomatoes and sugar to a boil over
- medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Cool 10 minutes.
- Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of
- containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room
- temperature 24 hours.
- Spread is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze extra
- containers up to 12 months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before
- serving. Thaw frozen spread in refrigerator before serving.
- Yield: 2-2/3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 86 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.