- 3/4 to 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen Tater Tot potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk or water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with potatoes. Combine soup and milk; pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Reviews for Quick Tater Tot Bake
"I have been looking for a tater tot casserole recipe and found this. Gave it a try and was a little disappointed. I followed the recipe except put the cheese on during the last 15-20 minutes of cooking. It wasn't bad but it seemed like something was missing. Had it the next day as leftover and thought it was better than out of oven."
"We have had a much loved similar recipe for years (we = my sister found it, shared it with me). The only part we cannot remember is the actual name and origin of the recipe! Our "Tater Tot casserole bake Thingy" is similar, but the serving count is larger, we use 32 oz. bag of tater tots and closer to 2lbs of ground beef, but that's due to the number of people eating. The real difference is, we use 2 different soups - Golden Mushroom and Cream of Celery; adding one "can full" of milk, so 2:1 ratio soup to milk. We don't add the cheese topping until last 15 minutes of baking time...and then put a dish of sour cream on the side for everyone to add a big spoonful to the top of their portion. This is one of our favorite easy-peasy weeknight/rainy-cold night/comfort food suppers."
"I adjusted this a bit to accommodate what I had on hand. In a skillet I cooked carrots and cut up pearl onions. Then I added in minced garlic clove and 1 cup of cooked beef tenderloin from a previous meal, cooking until the carrots were tender. I followed the rest of the directions as written. What a dish, my kids loved it."
"This is a kid apprved meal, my grandaughter even had it the next day for breakfast."