- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, red pepper and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, vinegar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and salt; stir into beef mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forQuick Tangy Sloppy Joes
"so much better than manwich !!!"
"perfect just the way it is. My husband isn't that crazy about sloppy joes, but he loved these!"
"This was very salty. Did I do something wrong? Next time I will only put 1/2 tsp of salt. I also would add just a bit more surgar, 1 clove minced garlic, and will use red wine vinegar instead of white. I did add about 1 1/4 c sweet baby ray's as well. I will make again, as I like using the ketchup base (I always have ketchup) but feel like I have altered the recipe so much I feel guilty saying it's the same recipe. I think cutting the salt will go a LONG way to make it better."
"I made it exactly per the recipe and it was delicious. Tangy but not too much - my picky husband liked it too. I will definitely keep this recipe and make again and again!"
"My family declared this the best sloppy joe recipe ever! We also added about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce to the base recipe. It was so tasty!"
"This was so easy and delicious, too! My kids like a little BBQ kick to their sloppy joes, so I threw in a 1/4 c. Sweet Baby Rays as well. Enjoy!"
"This is the best sloppy joes recipe I've ever made. Packed with flavor! We'll be making this often.~ Theresa"
"Very good and didn't have tomato paste in it, an ingredient I am usually out of when I need it."